Sunday, July 19, 2009

Proud mother of two!

For the past few months O'Malley has been having a bit of a bladder control issue. Even going as far as relieving his bladder on the clothing of over night guests. He's been to the vet several different times coming home with medications for bladder infections. When he would start the medications he would do better for a while and then the issues would return.

Even though I felt sorry for him and what he was going through, I began to think I was reaching my breaking point! I was trying to consider different options figuring that the reason he was in the animal shelter to begin with was most likely due to this very issue. I didn't want to give up on him. He's the sweetest kitty I have ever had. So I began with a litter box additive that was supposed to attract him to the litter box. I tried removing the lid from his box. I even got an additional box. I tried the "Cat Attract" brand of litter. Every time I thought it had helped the issues would begin again.
My next thought was that maybe he needed a buddy! Marika had mentioned that her friend Shera had been looking for a home for their kitty. She was also a sweet kitty, but since their family has grown by two in the last two years they didn't feel like she was getting the attention she needed.

Before we left on our trip to Canada I took O'Malley back to the vet in hopes that we would be able to control things while Claire and Fay were looking after him. This time they did a few things differently. First, he was prescribed the usual antibiotic for the infection, but in addition he was also prescribed a medication that helps with digestion, a prescription wet food (since all the store brands made him sick) which helps him get more water into his system and a low dose of anti-depressants. (The thought of kitty anti-depressants is funny) While on vacation O'Malley did very well never having any "accidents!" I was still considering the possibility of a friend for him.

Yesterday after Marika had gone to the movies with Shera and they had discussed the cat swap and it was decided that sooner was better than later. So yesterday evening O'Malley and I welcomed an addition to our little family! Her name is Quincie! She's almost six years old. She's a very pretty black cat with green eyes.
Shera, her husband and their two children brought Quincie over, stayed for a bit while we let the cats meet each other. It was agreed that we would first have this arrangement on a trial basis of a week. That way we could make sure that they liked one another. If I were them, it would be very difficult to give my kitty away. I hope they know that the person they gave her will love her! :)

Now having been here for almost 20 hours, poor Quincie is looking a little scared. I imagine that this is due to not only the completely new surroundings but also because of the huge cat that hangs out outside the door of the room shes in and every time she is brave enough to venture beyond that room O'Malley is right there to remind her she's not the only cat in the house. They have been nice enough to each other. The hissing has decreased from every time they make eye contact to every three or four times. She's come out from under the bed twice today for a little while to eat and be pet.
So welcome to the family Quincie! Hope you and O'Malley become bff soon!

4 comments:

Marika said...

I know pretty soon they will be bf and gf! :)

Sue said...

Congratulations on your new baby! I'm rooting for speedy kitty bonding and a lifelong friendship between O'Malley and Quincie; not to mention the obliteration of inappropriate urination!

terry said...

best wishes to the growing family! What's the hiss-o-meter doing by now? Yeah, that cat-pee issue is really the worst. We have to be very careful what lays around on our floors at this house!

rcombs said...

OMally peed on my jeans.

Followers

Blog Archive