Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Free fallin' down the...free fallin' down the

We've all done it. Tried to sing along to a song only to find out the words you are singing are not the actual words to the song. The title of this blog entry is an example of one such event. It was 1989 when Tom Petty's song Free Fallin was released. I was just a child. I remember watching the video on VH1 with Nathan. After the second time the chorus is sung the video shows people skating down a ramp. The actual words in the chorus are: Free fallin, now I'm free fallin. I don't think it was too far off base for me to think he was talking about free fallin down the ramp on a skate board. Hence, free fallin down the...free fallin (down the ramp!)

Do you know the song The Tears of a Clown? The chorus says: The tears of a clown, when there's no one around.
What I thought the words were: Fifty years of a clown when there's no one around.

What about Blur Song 2. The actual words: I got my head checked by a jumbo jet.
What Adam thought the words were: I got my head shaved by a trombone-jay

You know it's happened to you too. What are some of the funniest lyrical mistakes that you or your loved ones have made?

3 comments:

rcombs said...

I thought it was "I got my head shaved by ochee mochee" I don't even know what that means. The best one I ever heard was in high school when this girl tried to sing that Van Halen song Panama but she was yelling "Cannonball!" Everyone stared at her and she was like "what?"

Anonymous said...

I liked this funny entry. I know I have messed up some lyrics but I can't remember which songs right now. - Sue

Anonymous said...

So awesome that little Rachel mentioned "Panama." I don't remember who said it, but I heard someone sing the one word "Panama!" chorus as "Animal!" One time I heard someone referring to Heartache Tonight by the Eagles with lyrics that were about as different in meaning as you would find in a rock anthem: "There's gonna be a PARTY TONIGHT! A PARTY TONIGHT, I KNOW!"

I thought of one recently that's not that funny, but it still gets me to this day. The chorus of Touch of Gray, by the Grateful Dead, says "I will get by." When I was a kuddie, I thought it said, "I'll be lookin' by." I know the real word, but somewhere in the pronounchin I hear more syllables, and I just like it better.

-Brother

Followers

Blog Archive